How to get a VA ABC License?

Applying for a Virginia alcohol license can be a daunting tedious task. First you should determine what license type you will qualify for. In VA, there are many different alcohol license types. Once you determine the best license type for your business find a location to conduct your business. Upon finding a location then form a company/entity with the VA State Corporation Commission (VA SCC), (Insert a link to the VC SCC online form) after forming/registering your legal entity then apply for your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) (make this a link as well) with the IRS. Upon finding a location, registering your entity and obtaining your FEIN you may then begin the application process for a VA ABC License.

All VA ABC Applications are initially processed at the VA ABC Authority headquarters in Richmond, VA. Once they pass review in Richmond, the application is then passed to 1 of 9 regional ABC offices in the state for agent review. Upon site inspection and completion of agent investigation the license is approved. Our experts ensure your license application is completed accurately and that you are prepared for your on-site inspection resulting in a quick license approval.

How to File the VA ABC Authority Skill Game Monthly Report.

Every Skill Game Distributor shall provide a monthly report detailing the total wagered and total awarded. This monthly report must be submitted for every skill game registered in Virginia.

Starting in the month of August 2020 and each month thereafter, these categories along with all the other categories in the monthly report shall be filled out and submitted by the 20th of each month.

If you would like assistance filing your monthly skill game report contact us at or submit your online form here.

How to Register Skill Games in Virginia.

Games must be placed in an active alcohol licensed establishment or truck stop by June 30, 2020. Games must be registered with VA ABC Authority by July 7, 2020.
We can assist with the following:
• Registering Games by July 7, 2020.
• Monthly reporting of game operations to VA ABC Authority.
• Surety Bond assistance.
• Game performance analysis.
• Relocation request of games that need to be moved during the year.

Can Mixed Beverage Licensees sell mixed drinks to-go?

On April 8, 2020, the VA Governor announced beginning on April 10, 2020 that all Virginia Mixed Beverage Licensees may sell mixed beverages/cocktails to-go, curbside and via delivery under the following guidelines:

• A Maximum of 4 Mixed Drinks/Cocktails for each order.
• A Meal must be included with every 2 Mixed Drinks/Cocktails.
• Mixed Drinks/Cocktails shall be packaged in a glass, paper or plastic container or in a single original metal can with a secure lid or cap designed to prevent consumption without removal of the lid or cap.
• Lids with sipping or straw holes are prohibited.
• All recipients of delivery and to-go orders must be at least 21 years of age.

Are licensees allowed to sell growlers?

BEFORE the Virginia Governor's Executive Order regarding growlers AND how the rules will be when the orders are lifted are as follows:
• Must be in a reusable glass, ceramic, or metal container
• Must be re-sealable closure
• Can be sold up until midnight
• Sales can resume at 6am
• Must be a licensed Restaurant with Wine and Beer On and Off-Premises privilege, OR
• Must be licensed as a Gourmet Shop with Wine and Beer Off-Premises privilege and meet gourmet food sales/inventory requirements to comply as a “gourmet shop”

• Beer or Cider can be in containers up to 128 oz .
• Wine can be put in containers up to 64 oz
• Wine, Beer and Cider sold in growlers may only be sold by persons licensed to sell wine for both on-premises and off-premises consumption and by gourmet shop licensees. Wine sold by gourmet shop licensees shall be labeled with the (i) manufacturer’s name or trade name, (ii) place of production, (iii) net contents in fluid ounces, and (iv) name and address of the retailer.

During this time VA is now allowing Growlers to be sold as follows:
• Pet Plastic Growler Bottles up to 64oz
• Pet Plastic Bottles up to 64oz
• Swing Top Bottles up to 750 ml
• Flip Top Beer Bottles up to 32oz 

How long does it take to get a VA ABC License?

Alcohol licensing in Virginia is a process that requires a 30 day objection period also known as the Posting & Publishing.  Publishing is the legal publication that a license has been applied for and the Posting is a public NOTICE posting on the business property.  The 30 day objection period begins when the first of two legal publications run in the local newspaper. Any objectors must submit their objection in writing to the VA ABC Authority within 30 days of the first legal publication.When ABC Consulting processes your alcohol license we can in most cases have a license approved in 35-40 days  from the legal publication date.

We work diligently to ensure all necessary supporting documents needed for alcohol license approval is reviewed for errors and corrected prior to document submission. We are a team of Former Special Agents from the VA ABC Authority Enforcement Division. We are experts in our field. We handle the attention to details, while you execute your vast vision of business success.

What is the most important thing I should know before applying for an alcohol license?

The most important thing you should know before applying for a Virginia Alcohol License is your legal entity name/company name. Virginia alcohol licenses are issued to entities not people unless you are a sole-proprietor.

Before applying for a VA alcohol license license you must register your legal entity with the Virginia State Corporation Commission (VA SCC).

Once your legal entity name has been registered that is the name you will use when applying for ALL permits related to your business, including your alcohol license. Do not use your personal name, always use your legal entity name.

If you plan to trade as/do business under a trade name-which is a name other than your legal entity name, then you must register your trade name with the locality in which you do business and the VA State Corporation Commission (VA SCC).

The trade name is the name that you use on social media, your business sign, your menu, etc. It is the name the public knows you as.

Can I deliver beer and wine?

As of Friday, March 20, 2020 the Governor of VA indicated that Wine and Beer On-Premises licensees may use the privileges of a Wine and Beer Off-Premises licensee, thus, allowing them to sale Wine and Beer to-go, curbside and/or delivery without additional permits. This does not apply to mixed drinks and/or liquor.

As of Monday, March 23, 2020, the Governor prohibits Restaurants, Wineries and Breweries from allowing dining in their establishments due to COVID-19. Curbside and Delivery is still allowed at this time. Stay tuned for any changes.

If you want to offer Wine and Beer to-go, curbside, and/or delivery permanently or beyond this state of emergency we can assist you with obtaining such permits.

What is a Day Spa Alcohol License?

To qualify for a Day Spa license your day spa must be a commercial establishment that offers, to the public, both cosmetology and massage therapy, performed by persons certified cosmetology and massage. This license allows the consumption of lawfully acquired wine and beer by each customer of no more than two 5-ounce glasses of wine or one 12-ounce beer, during each visit. Alcoholic beverages may not be sold and shall be inclusive in the total charge of the “Day Spa” services received.


What is a UAB?

A Virginia Under Age Buyer, AKA UAB, is a person under the age of 21, hired by the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority Enforcement Division to attempt to purchase alcohol in licensed locations.

UAB's are chosen for their young looking appearance in hopes that the seller/server of alcohol refuses the sale.

UAB's use their valid identification, indicating they are under 21 years of age.

Selling to a UAB in VA may result in a conviction of a Class 1 Misdemeanor-which can result in a fine up to $2,500 and/or up to 12 months in jail.

VA licensee's are charged administratively when a sale occurs to a person less than 21 years of age and the charge may result in a fine of $2,500.00 or a 25 day suspension of their alcohol license and in some cases fines may be as much as $7,000.00

Save money by getting your employees certified with Toast VA--alcohol seller/server training. This course is online, self-paced, fun and very educational.



Why choose ABC Consulting to be your consultant?

Simply said We are the BEST.  We are the experts. We get things DONE!  We have the attention to detail needed to ensure quick license approval.  ABC Consulting will prepare and present your application to VA ABC accurately resulting in a quicker issuance of the license; conduct state certified T.O.A.S.T. VA training to you and your staff resulting in reduced penalties; provide insight on how to meet the required ratio; assist with MBAR filing; process license renewals; process license type and membership changes; assist with hearings and appeals preparation; provide advertising guidance; and most importantly, improve the value of your license. It only makes sense to have an expert process your licensing matters.  

Why choose ABC Consulting to prepare your VA ABC license application?

ABC Consulting was created by Crystal E. Stump, a former Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control Special Agent. During her years as a Special Agent she saw countless examples of VA ABC license applicants who underestimated the level of detail and the degree of attention and precision necessary for successfully presenting a license application to VA ABC. This lack of understanding and attention to detail was the most common reason applications were not approved. VA ABC processes thousands of applications a year and an incomplete or inaccurate application is grounds for an application hearing which can result in lengthy delays, or the denial of the license. When ABC Consulting processes alcohol license applications, it allows the client to focus on getting their business ready for operation while the application is diligently being processed by the experts.   We know how to complete the application properly, and we know how to present it to VA ABC so no unforeseen problems arise. We then communicate directly with VA ABC on your behalf to ensure that your license is issued promptly and fairly.

Can a licensee applicant operate using the current licensee's license?

In some cases The Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control will allow a license applicant to use an active license while waiting on a new license to be granted.  Like many things related to government regulations there are exceptions.  There are time-sensitive requirements. Often licensee applicants contact us too late and exceptions cannot be made. Trying to do things yourself can be costly if you are not experienced.  Call us, an expert is standing by to assist you.  800.785.0161

Can licensees advertise happy hour in the media?

Schedule T.O.A.S.T. VA training to learn the do's and don't's of "Happy Hour."  In addition to learning all of the regulations related to "Happy Hour" our participants will leave class state-certified.  There is power in education.  Get educated if you plan to do business in VA.  Invest in training to avoid the pit-falls of non-compliance and costly penalties.  


How do I register for a VA sales tax ID?

You may register online for your VA Sales and Use Certificate--BUT do not do it prior to obtaining your EIN.  Better yet, let us handle it to be sure the certificate properly meets the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control licensing requirements.  It is much easier to do registrations correctly the first time.

How do I obtain a DMV driving record?

You must provide a driving transcript as part of your Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control alcohol application packet.  You may either visit a DMV office and request such report in person or we can obtain the transcript on your behalf.  We are awesome like that because we know your time is valuable.  

How much does ABC Consulting cost?

ABC Consulting offers a variety of packages in order to serve different types of Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage licensees and everyone's budget. If you are interested in learning how valuable adding an ABC Consultant to your business is, call us 800.785.0161. An expert is standing by to answer your questions.  You will be surprised how affordable we really are.